Urban Restoration Enhancement Corporation (UREC)
With a vision of Building Today’s Communities for Tomorrow, Urban Restoration Enhancement Corporation (UREC) identifies and refines the hidden potential that rests within communities throughout the Greater Baton Rouge area.
Founded in 1992, UREC is a leading nonprofit and certified community development corporation based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. UREC’s mission is to transform communities by investing in people and restoring neighborhoods.
UREC fulfills its mission by sponsoring projects in three core areas:
This three-tiered approach to community development focuses on investing initiatives that reap long-term, sustainable outcomes for low to moderate wage earners. As one of the few organizations in Louisiana with such targeted focus, UREC has attained unrivaled success, including:
- Development of quality, affordable housing options for homeowners and renters
- Ongoing delivery of specialized courses for businesses
- Collaboration on education initiatives
- Involvement in policy leadership
- Providing consulting to other community development organizations
Awards & Accomplishments
UREC is constantly recognized for its operational integrity and track record.
- Developed more than 120 single and multi-family affordable housing units
- Developed Urban Garden neighborhood at the former site of the Old Hollywood Elementary School
- Expanded Urban Garden with the Urban Garden Senior Village for grandparents raising grandchildren and adults 55+
- Facilitated case management and emergency rental assistance during COVID-19
- Provided post-disaster case management and educational workshops for flood-impacted residents
- Served more than 5,000 youth through after school and summer enrichment as well as college, career and entrepreneurial training
- Louisiana Association of Nonprofit Organization “Standards of Excellence” agency
- NAACP “Outstanding Community Service”
- Capital Area Alliance “Agency of the Year”
- 2019 Louisiana Housing Corporation Community Connections Champion
- First Community Housing Development Organization (CHDO) certified by the Office of Community Development in East Baton Rouge Parish
- Louisiana Housing Alliance’s “Excellence in Affordable Housing and Community Development” Award